Say hey to GSA

By Alyssa B.

David P

GSA Poster

Students may not know about a unique club on campus called GSA. GSA stands for “gay-straight alliance” and is run by the advisor, Ms. Bromley-Norwood.

People in the LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer) community sometimes feel that people do not want anything to do with the gay community, so it is exciting to know that there are many members of this club here at Cheyenne with different backgrounds.

Unfortunately, “Most people don’t want to be associated with anything that has the word gay in it, but we have a sizable group of people. It changes depending on the day. Some days there are more than others,” said Julian Thibault a 9th grader in GSA.

It is good that one does not have to be a part of the LGBTQ community to be a part of GSA. The doors are open to everyone.

Ms. Bromley-Norwood, advisor of the club, explained membership in this way: “The true membership requirement is that you are human, and as silly as that sounds that’s really the philosophy, because it is GSA–that means anyone who is gay or straight is much more invited than aliens or animals.”

Coming to GSA you are welcomed with open arms and caring, understanding people. Jessenie Alvarez felt welcome from the start. She explains, “I did not have to pretend I was not gay. I could just come in and be myself.”

GSA is great club to join for students who want to meet new and exciting people. Nanci Hernandez joined for that reason. She said, “I always wanted to join a club, but I also wanted to meet more people like me.”

Another student, Cherrie Ann Dalisay, said “I wanted to join a club, and when I saw GSA I thought, wow that looks cool.”

GSA also works with other clubs to put on a club fest and other fun activities.

“We always like to get the other clubs involved,” said Monique Nunez a senior member in GSA.

Come out and visit GSA club. They meet every Tuesday right after school in room 321.