The Voice of Cheyenne High School

Cheyenne Student News

Filed under Sports

A Great Run from the Cheyenne Men’s Bowling Team

This year the Cheyenne Men’s Bowling team finished with a record breaking, winning season! The coach, Ms. Morrison, plans to take her team to the championship next year and expose players to the many opportunities that exist for top bowlers.

The team finished with a record of 87-4 in conference games–the best the school has ever seen–and made it to the second round in regional competition.

Bowling at Cheyenne has a bright future, and Ms. Morrison believes she can lead the bowlers to improve their games in order to make it to the NIAA State Bowling Championship. “I’d like to see us grow; I’d like to see us advance more. A lot of technical training and things like that will help them become better bowlers,” said Morrison.

There are bowling teams on college campuses nationwide; there are even opportunities for students to pay for their education with scholarships to bowl.”

— Coach Carrie Morrison

Lyndon Joseph, a 9th grader on the men’s bowling team explained that one of the keys in preparing to improve the team’s skills is to bowl against their teammates. “We go to Texas Station often to practice with our teammates,” he said.

Bowling has become more popular for high schools throughout Nevada. “It’s vastly grown. Everything has become a lot more involved with bowling as a school sport. A lot of leagues have been developed,” explained Ms. Morrison.

Students may not know that there are bowling teams on college campuses nationwide; there are even opportunities for students to pay for their education with scholarships to bowl in college.

“I have one student that has a possible scholarship coming from UNLV. There is also a university in Utah that is looking at another student for a possible scholarship. Most colleges have bowling teams and opportunities at higher levels,” stated Morrison.

To commemorate the team’s achievements this season, an awards banquet will be held at the Venetian on June 3rd.

The Voice of Cheyenne High School