The Voice of Cheyenne High School

Cheyenne Student News

Cheyenne Women’s Track and Field Team Finished Second in the Nevada Track and Field Championship!

Sean C. & Cavin G., Staff Writers

The Women’s Track and Field team was named the Class 3A Southern Regional Champions, qualified thirteen girls to advance to the Nevada State Championship, and finished second in the state!

The coach of the team, Scott Thrasher, has been coaching at Cheyenne for seventeen years. In those years, he has developed a certain technique in order to help his athletes remain competitive.

Angela H., senior relay runner and five-time State Track and Field champion, explained how Thrasher helps the team prepare to compete. “The girls need to eat healthy, keep the body flexible by stretching everyday, and work on maintaining their focus on the goal ahead,” said Hammond.

We have a mutual passion to win State. We want our families to see us excel”

— Angela H.

Germanie W., sophomore relay runner who recently won first place in the 400 meter dash during the 3A regionals, discussed the preparation her team underwent in order to earn their way to the championship event. “We work on building up strength by challenging ourselves with vigorous strength training. The team does lunges around the entire track, followed by back pedaling around the curve of the track field,” said White.

In addition to the intense physical workouts, Angela H. feels that the women also have a close bond, which helps the team to support one another in their successes and setbacks. “We have a mutual passion to win State. We want our families to see us excel and make them proud!,” exclaimed Hammond.

Coach Thrasher is committed to instilling a sense of community in his team by embodying his philosophy of coaching which he says is to “be committed to what you are doing!” The women’s track and field team certainly demonstrated their coach’s philosophy and remained committed to each other and to their common goal of winning another state title for Cheyenne.

Congratulations to the Cheyenne High School Women’s Track and Field Team for finishing second at the 2017 Nevada State Track and Field Championship Meet!

• Cheyenne Women’s Track and Field Team Finished Second in the Nevada Track and Field Championship!

News

Should Cheyenne Keep the Mural in the 200 Hallway?

Student Life

Cheyenne Has Taken A New Approach To Learning

'ART'icles

Shadows

'ART'icles

Darkness

News

Cheyenne Trains Students for Careers in Photography

Student Life

Cheyenne High School Key Club Brings the Community Together!

News

The Cheyenne Cheer Team Moves in a New Direction with New Leadership

News

Sports

Football Game Between Cheyenne High School and Canyon Springs High School Promotes Unity!

News

Title I Monies Fund Important Efforts at Cheyenne!!!

The Voice of Cheyenne High School