The Voice of Cheyenne High School

Cheyenne Student News

Cheyenne Swimming and Diving Team Finishes Fourth in the State Championship Meet!

Amber G., Staff Writer

Five swimmers from Cheyenne’s swim team qualified to compete in the Nevada State Championship Swim Meet last Saturday in Carson City, Nevada and the team placed 4th overall in the meet!

Tallyn C. competed in the 100 yard freestyle and the 100 yard backstroke.  Aidan N. competed in the 200 yard freestyle and the 100 yard freestyle.  Aaron R. competed in the 100 yard Backstroke and diving. Luis E., Aidan N., Aaron R., and Joshua F. competed in the 200 yard medley relay and the 400 yard freestyle relay.

In order to push the swimmers to their highest level of achievement, she instilled self-motivation in the swimmers”

Jennifer Radamis, the coach of the swim team, discussed the rules for winning the top 3 places during the championship event. “Since the team competes as individuals, rather than as a team, winning either first, second, or third place is based solely on what time the swimmers get for their events,” said Radamis.

For her first year coaching the swim team, Radamis adopted a humbling approach to the way she coached the team. In order to push the swimmers to their highest level of achievement, she instilled self-motivation in the swimmers. Radamis stated, “The students that are going to the State Championship are the ones that do not just show up to practice; they are constantly pushing themselves to work harder and have a desire to be faster.”

She also provided a lot of individual modifications to help each swimmer improve their skills. “I believe in making practices and meets as individualized as possible. Once students find out what events they like best, I would give them as many opportunities as I could to help them develop that skill,” said Radamis.

Congratulations Desert Shields on finishing 4th place in the Nevada State Championship Swimming and Diving Meet!

The Voice of Cheyenne High School