The Voice of Cheyenne High School

Cheyenne Student News

A Successful Women’s Basketball Season Earns Cheyenne’s Daniel Guy the Coach of the Year Award

Coach Guy accepts 2017 Coach of the Year award from athletes at recognition event.

Angelica G. & Jessenie A., Staff Writers

Coach Daniel Guy, the Cheyenne High School Women’s Basketball Coach, lead the Lady Desert Shields to an undefeated season and into to the second round of playoffs. Through the team’s success, Coach Guy won the award for the 2016-2017 varsity women’s basketball Coach of the Year.

This is not Guy’s first coach of the year award. While working in San Francisco, Coach Guy won an award for coaching a boys’ basketball team. He also won an award for coaching a girls’ basketball team in East Bay.

The award for coach of the year is decided by fellow coaches in Nevada. Coach Guy was nominated for his skill and determination. Although he won, he did not want all the recognition to go to himself. He expressed much gratitude to his players and the basketball staff that made a great season possible.

Koryel G., a senior on the varsity girls basketball team, explained the effect Coach Guy had on her performance as an athlete. “I felt that Coach Guy deserved this award because he believed in us girls no matter what. He always told us to keep up the teamwork and play with our hearts.”

To read the article the Las Vegas Sun published on Coach Guy, visit the following link:

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/may/08/3-outstanding-coaches-lead-cheyenne-high-to-stella/

Congratulations on your accomplishments, Coach Guy!

The Voice of Cheyenne High School