The Voice of Cheyenne High School

Cheyenne Student News

Cheyenne Trains Students for Careers in Photography

Students in Ms. Weems' photography class

Briana R.

Briana R.

Briana R. & Carlos P., Staff Writers

At Cheyenne High School, the photography class is helping students learn about the many different types of career opportunities that exist for aspiring photographers.

Ms. Weems, the photography teacher at Cheyenne High School, teaches her students how photography can become a career. She explained, “Students can be any type of photographer they want in the real world; it just depends on what area of photography they want to specialize in.”

There are several different specializations in photography that can lead to a career. One of the possible career areas that Weems teaches is commercial photography. Commercial photography is trying to sell a product in an advertisement, usually by using a model. “It is basically advertising for products in magazines. Modeling and clothing could be considered commercial photography as well,” said Weems.

Product photography is similar to commercial photography; however, the difference is that the photographer will be taking pictures of a product without a model present. Weems explained, “Commercial photography usually shows someone using the product, but in product photography, it is just a picture of the product, usually in front of a white background.” Her class will practice these techniques as well.

Another possible career students can choose from in photography is photojournalism. Ms. Weems explained that photojournalism requires more training in professional writing, because small companies will need their photographers to write and take a picture for articles. Newspapers, online news sources, and magazines all hire photojournalists. “There is a bigger pool of jobs for photojournalists than there is for just normal journalists, but a lot of things are moving towards video journalists, especially when working in an online platform–they have to know how to create a video,” said Weems.

Weems also familiarizes her students with event photography, which includes photography for weddings, funerals, birthday parties, quinceaneras, or any event in a person’s life that they want recorded, including sports activities. “There are also careers specifically dealing with sports photography that would fall under the career of a photojournalist,” Weems added.

If a student wants to become a photographer, colleges are available, but Weems explained that having the right “eye” for photography often cannot be taught but is inherent. “Photography is an art, so it is a little bit more of a talent than just pure knowledge. It is a kind of a mix; you need to have the knowledge on how to take a photo and talent on how to see the photo and say this is good, this is bad, this is what I need to change,” said Weems.

Kaiya B., one of Ms. Weem’s photography students, is very interested in photography. She enjoys taking pictures of nature and is thinking about getting a social media account dedicated to her photography. Kaiya explained, “Photography is kinda my thing. One benefit of photography is that you can capture different stories through pictures.” Kaiya hopes to use the skills she learned in Ms. Weems’ class to promote her art via social media.

Ms. Weems hopes that the skills she teaches her students will translate into a pursuit of a career in photography!

• Cheyenne Trains Students for Careers in Photography

News

Cheyenne Teacher Wins the 2016-2017 Heart of Education Award!!!

News

The Cheyenne High School JROTC Cadets Join the Moapa Valley Celebration of Veteran’s Day!!!

News

Cheyenne High School’s Journalism Class is Fantastic!!!

News

Cheyenne’s Black Student Union Promotes Cultural Awareness!!!

News

The Nevada Promise Scholarship: An Opportunity that Should Not Be Missed!

News

It Takes Hard Work to Be A Valedictorian Candidate at Cheyenne High School!

News

The Cheyenne Cheer Team Moves in a New Direction with New Leadership

News

Should Cheyenne Keep the Mural in the 200 Hallway?

News

Title I Monies Fund Important Efforts at Cheyenne!!!

News

Cheyenne’s Special Needs Students Receive Individual Attention!

The Voice of Cheyenne High School