Cheyenne High School’s Journalism Class is Fantastic!!!

Trent A. and David G

Cheyenne High School’s journalism class is developing rapidly, demonstrating an endless array of possibilities for students within this class. Students compose articles about current events happening at the school, and in this elective, students gain interview, interpersonal, as well as writing and editing skills.

The journalism class first began three years ago with ten students, and it has grown to over 50 students who contribute articles on a weekly basis. Ms. Chaban is the advisor of Cheyenne’s growing journalism classes, and prior to teaching journalism, she exclusively taught English for eight years. The growing popularity of the journalism class stems from students’ interests in developing their communication skills while writing about a range of topics that they find interesting.

“The class will provide you with exceptional experience, communication, and writing skills which will further your knowledge and help you do better in college- no matter what you decide to major in,” said Chaban.

Journalism is a career choice that suits certain types of personalities, such as creative and hardworking writers who know how to get to the point and make their readers think.

Ms. Chaban explained the types of people who may enjoy this career. “If you like traveling and being in the moment, along with writing and being your own boss, then journalism is for you,” said Chaban.

Most recently, journalism students learned how to conduct post-game interviews with Cheyenne athletes. Dr. Robbins, the principal of Cheyenne High School, has created a press conference room where–similar to ESPN post-game interviews–athletes will be asked questions by Cheyenne journalists about different aspects of their respective games.

Keshawn H., a second year journalism student, taught a lesson on how to conduct a post-game interview to first year journalism students. He discussed a skill that he learned from sports interviewing. “With sports interviews, you have to be able to revise your questions according to what happened in the game. I learned how to create spontaneous questions that ask the player to think about how the game went and what they could’ve done differently,” said Hall.

For students who enjoy writing about various topics, journalism is a class that can provide that sort of outlet. Interested students should visit: https://desertshields.org/ to see examples of what Cheyenne journalism students write, then see their counselors to be added to the class.