Cheyenne High School’s Flag Football Team Seeks Another State Championship!!!

Kiantera N., Staff Writer

Eight players from last year’s 4A Sunset Division flag football state championship team return with Coach Anthony “Tank” Johnson for another season of Cheyenne High School Flag Football.

With sixteen seniors of last year’s varsity team gone, some of whom were his best players, Johnson isn’t worried about not attaining the same outstanding record from last year. “We will pick up where we left off, re-lock, and reload,” said Coach.

Coach Tank eagerly returns for his eighth year in coaching for Cheyenne, and his fifth year in coaching flag football.

Considering the girls are the defending state champs, Johnson understands that other teams will seek to dethrone for them as the champions. In order to prepare for this reality, he discussed his approach to the season. “We will practice very hard. A lot of teams will play us very tough, so we have to be prepared. I will coach the new players up and have them compete as last year’s team did.”

Johnson believes he will have good leadership right alongside him with the returning players. “Kiantera N, Zayeira D., Eleseanna P., Erika R., Ayala H., Nemesis H., and El’Heaven H. are Cheyenne’s returning players. We have leaders from the former team that were underclassmen. They know what it takes to be a champion and will guide the new girls in the right way.”

The chilly winter sport began with intramurals that took place during the week, and tryouts were on Nov. 11th.

Cheyenne looks forward to another outstanding season from its defending championship flag football team!