Cheyenne Student News

Cheyenne Teacher Wins the 2016-2017 Heart of Education Award!!!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Katelean A., Staff Writer

Cheyenne High School Science Teacher Hela Naziri won the 2017 Heart of Education Award, the city’s way of recognizing teachers who make a difference in the lives of students throughout the Las Vegas valley. Ms. Naziri was recognized for encouraging students to overcome tough situations and succeed in school.

For a teacher to win the award, a student has to nominate him or her. Then, nominated teachers write a 500 word essay to share how they’ve affected students’ lives. All essays are sent to a panel of judges at The Smith Center, and the panel chooses twenty teachers for the award.

Pullquote Photo

If a teacher wants to win the award, they don’t have to do anything other than what caring teachers already do. Someone has to recognize them, but it’s not a competition”

— Hela Naziri

Hela Naziri explains, “I had about 15 kids nominate me. One wrote that I had a big impact on her life, and that I’d helped her get into college and gave her advice that she really appreciated,” said Naziri.

When speculating on why she was nominated 15 times, Naziri believes it might be attributed to her helping students get through tough times with guidance and support. Ms. Naziri explained that it’s important for students to know that teachers care about their well-being and not just their academic progress.

“If a teacher wants to win the award, they don’t have to do anything other than what caring teachers already do. Someone has to recognize them, but it’s not a competition,” said Naziri.

The twenty award recipients, along with hundreds of other nominees, attended a gala organized by The Smith Center. They enjoyed food, entertainment, and prominent guest speakers. Attendees were surprised by the keynote speaker of the night, Dr. Jill Biden, the former second lady of the United States.

Dr. Zachary Robbins, the principal of Cheyenne High School, attended the event to celebrate Naziri’s achievement. “The energy was electric because everyone was excited to be there; everyone was excited to be able to celebrate teachers and their outstanding work with students!” exclaimed Robbins.

Students who’d like to nominate a CCSD teacher for The Heart of Education Award have until  January 18th, 2018. The nomination form can be found on The Smith Center’s website at: http://theheartofeducation.org/ 

The Voice of Cheyenne High School