Cheyenne’s JROTC Program Maintains the “Honor Unit with Distinction” Ranking!!!

Briana R. and Jenny M., Staff Writers

Cheyenne High School’s JROTC program has maintained the “Honor Unit with Distinction” ranking for seven consecutive years and has achieved this ranking each year Cheyenne’s JROTC program has been eligible.

The Honor Unit with Distinction is represented on the JROTC uniform with a gold star. According to Sergeant Major Schoolfield, “The gold star is the highest award a JROTC unit can achieve. Each JROTC program–every 3 years–receives an inspection from the United States Army Cadet Command.”

During the inspection, the United States Army Cadet Command checks to see if the instructors are fulfilling the required curriculum. To receive a gold star, schools must score 900 out of a possible 950 points.

Schoolfield explained the items each JROTC program needs to fulfill to obtain the required 900 points. “It includes community service, parades, marksmanship, drill meets, our cadets are in uniform and looking like they’re supposed to. Also, instructors have portfolios, not only on their cadets, but they have instructor portfolios as well,” said Schoolfield.

Sergeant Major takes pride in being awarded the gold star. He explained that as a soldier, he was taught to be the very best he could be, and the gold star represents being the best.

The JROTC program receives an inspection from the army every three years; however, the “Honor Unit with Distinction” inspection only begins once the program has been in effect for three years. Cheyenne High School applied for the inspection on their second year, because, according to Sergeant Major, the program is so advanced that they volunteered to be inspected one year earlier.

When preparing for the first inspection, the instructors focused on giving the cadets briefings about practice inspections and also teamed up with other schools that were being inspected. “We actually went over the checklist together and inspected each other prior to the real inspection to ensure that we all were in accordance with the army regulation,” said Schoolfield.

Sergeant Major has much confidence in his cadets; however, he stated that any inspection from the United States Army is still “nerve-wracking.” He added, “What I mean by that is you never know how good you are until they start to inspect. But we have been prepared and also have a high dependency on our cadets.”

The JROTC program will continue to prepare cadets to be a great representation of Cheyenne High School. The cadets are already organizing for next year’s inspection by checking for standard compliance weekly.