Cheyenne’s Cyber Cup Competition Was A Pivotal Moment for Cyber Defense Education in CCSD

Cheyenne’s Cyber Cup was a competition that allowed high school students throughout the Clark County School District to compete in a Capture the Flag format based on their knowledge of cybersecurity. The students who attended the first ever Cheyenne Cyber Cup were all participants in the Air Force Association’s CyberPatriot competition. The Cheyenne Cyber Cup made history by being the first of its kind in Nevada.

Over forty students from three Clark County School District schools, including Cheyenne, chose countries from a map of the world which had cybersecurity specific questions assigned to them. Each country’s point value varied based on the difficulty of the assigned question. The goal was for teams to answer as many questions correctly as possible to take over countries on the map, ultimately taking over the world, similar to the game Risk.

“The purpose is to introduce students to the world of Cyber Security and help them understand it is a very lucrative pathway to employment,” principal of Cheyenne High School, Dr. Robbins stated.

The Cyber Defense class which was developed for high school students in CCSD by Mrs. Bromley-Norwood, a teacher at Cheyenne High School, benefits students by giving them the experience to learn about cybersecurity skills that will be needed in our future society. Keeping a current understanding of vulnerabilities from the internet and the ability to clearly articulate complex concepts–both written and verbally–are just a few of these skills.

Cheyenne High School, cyber defense professionals, and community members are strongly urging the Clark County School District to begin a cyber security magnet program at Cheyenne High School.”

The teacher and organizer of the event, Mrs. Bromley-Norwood, explained, “I think it will be beneficial in the future world of the internet and technology. I think the Cheyenne Cyber Cup will make a significant difference for students on a high school level to be experiencing cybersecurity. There are currently over a million unfilled cybersecurity jobs based on these skills that are just waiting for these students.”

The students participating in the competition are learning key skills that lead to lucrative jobs after high school as well as what it means to be safe on the internet in general.

Cheyenne High School student, David M., explained, “With the way technology is advancing, these are the skills that I will always use to keep me safe on the internet, whether it be on my phone, tablet, or computer.”

The Cheyenne Cyber Cup competition was only the first step of a successful implementation of Cyber Security career preparation within the Clark County School District. Cheyenne High School, cyber defense professionals, and community members are strongly urging the Clark County School District to begin a cyber security magnet program at Cheyenne High School.