Cheyenne Student News

Cheyenne High School Swimmers Head to State Championships!

Ricardo C. and Jaidan T., Staff Writers

Cheyenne’s swim team has made improvements since last year, and the team is progressing to state championships after a successful performance at regionals.

Last year’s swimmers boasted about how great it is to be involved in the sport, which encouraged other students to join this year. The increase in membership allowed the team to gain more points from participating in more races.

“We have 35 members, and last year we had 8. With numbers, you can fill more races. They can each race four races, and when you win races, you get points,” Ms. Fakuma, the Cheyenne High School swim coach, explained.

As the season comes to an end, the team acknowledged that they’ve had an impressive amount of accomplishments. The girls’ team beat a rival school, and the boys’ team has had a nearly perfect season.

“You can see improvement when swimmers reduce their time, kind of like track. The boys are 6-2, only losing against big schools like Centennial. The girls even beat Mojave, so we were pretty optimistic about making it to state,” Ms. Fakuma explained.

With improvements and dedication, the team made it clear to other schools that they are competitive opponents.

“I have four club swimmers who are currently the top three fastest times in six races,” Fakuma said.

Cheyenne has four swimmers competing in state championships on May 19th at UNLV. The team has worked hard to surpass Coach Fakuma’s expectations, and we wish them the best of luck on Saturday!

The Voice of Cheyenne High School