Cheyenne Student News

The Burning of the Burdens Ceremony is a Cheyenne High School Homecoming Week Tradition!!!

Trent A., Staff Writer

On Tuesday, October 2nd, Cheyenne High School will host a “Burning of the Burdens” Ceremony. The key concept of this ceremony is for students and adults to symbolically move forward in life by sharing written burdens and burning the paper afterward in a ceremonial tradition.

Any father or father figure can share a past or present difficulty and how they have overcome or plan to overcome those burdens.

Dr. Robbins believes this homecoming week event will bring the community together. He explained, “It is a group of men sharing with other men how to conquer problems they faced or are facing; common struggle brings people together.”

Your son or daughter is going through a maturation process, and the ability to be there and be a part of the process is important. You’re seeing a process not only at home but at school.”

— Tyrone Armstrong- Social Studies Teacher

Fathers and male father figures are not the only people welcomed during this ceremony; staff, mothers, and whoever else has had a big impact on a student’s life is welcomed to attend.

Mr. Armstrong, a Cheyenne High School social studies teacher who attended last year’s ceremony, elaborated on the importance of bringing the community together to support students. “Your son or daughter is going through a maturation process, and the ability to be there and be a part of the process is important. You’re seeing a process not only at home but at school.”

He also discussed the benefit of having diverse groups and more females attend which helps to make the event more powerful. “It can help bring a community closer by sharing past or recent experiences to show that we are all human,” said Armstrong.

The “Burning of the Burdens” Ceremony provides enlightening experiences and tremendous support to fuse the community together to push forward. These experiences contribute to students’ ability to create a bond with figures that serve as role models, including staff members.

“It takes a village to raise a child,” expressed Armstrong. Bringing the community together to support one another in relieving their burdens can help push Cheyenne families to new heights.

The event is free and will start at 6 p.m. in the Cheyenne High School Library. Attendees will move to the lower quad area once it’s time to burn the collective burdens away.

The Voice of Cheyenne High School