Cheyenne Student News

TRIO Helps Students Find Dream Jobs and Get Into College!!!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tessa V. and Ana Laura V., Staff Writers

Cheyenne High School has a college preparatory and career exploration program that offers financial aid assistance and helps students find a suitable career to pursue.

Cheyenne is lucky to be one of the 10 schools in the valley to have TRIO. Not a lot of students have access to the support and advice needed in order to get into college.

Ms. Macias, Cheyenne’s TRIO director, explained the benefits of the program. “It’s helped students attend college and have those opportunities that maybe weren’t open before.”

The TRIO program pays for exams such as the SAT, ACT, and AP exams. It also covers college applications fees and offers students scholarship opportunities.

“I try to make sure everybody knows about the opportunities there are to go to college, the free opportunities, the scholarships, the resources that students can access to be able to go to school debt free,” said Macias.

In career exploration students can take a test to find the top three career choices based on interests. TRIO then helps students look for colleges that fit the profession they want to study.

Lilith, a senior in the TRIO program, had this advice to give to students who aren’t in the program, “If you’re going to be a junior next year, hop on it man! It’s going to be so helpful.”

In order to join TRIO, students need at least a 2.0 GPA and to submit an application. From 9-12th grade, there are about 90 students in TRIO at Cheyenne. More students are being accepted into the program. Applications can be found in room 918 or with a counselor. Ms. Macias is on campus at Cheyenne on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 7am-3pm.

The Voice of Cheyenne High School