All Students Take Advantage of Academic Planning at Cheyenne High School!

Kendra Q. & Vanessa C., Staff Writers

Through late March, Cheyenne counselors have been meeting with all students to discuss academic planning.

Academic planning, also known as credit checking, is the process of scheduling courses that benefit students’ future career plans and ensure on-track graduation. Counselors meet with Cheyenne students each semester to track students’ progress in core and elective classes.

Keeping track of a student’s academic plan is a stepping stone to the proper planning that affects a student’s future career; planning aligns students’ interests to classes that provide preparation for college and the workforce.

Ms. Adams, the freshman counselor at Cheyenne High School, discussed how academic planning has helped her students. “Everybody dreams and has an idea of where they can see themselves in 5-10 years. You also have a vision of where you don’t want to be. We work together to make sure students’ dreams are coming to light.”

Required classes for Cheyenne students include core courses in English, history, math, and science along with other required classes in physical and health education, electives, and a FLEX credit, which serves as a class where students can hone future career plans. Students in the graduating classes of 2019-2021 need a minimum of 22.5 credits to graduate, while students in the graduating class of 2022 and beyond are required to have a minimum of 23 credits to graduate.

Emily G., a junior in the Cheyenne-Desert Rose medical program, appreciated the opportunity to meet with counselors to ensure she was on-track for success after graduation. “I’ve met with my counselor twice, and in those times, she made sure I had the right classes to succeed in high school and to get an early start in the medical field.”

Academic planning goes beyond scheduling classes and credit checks. Cheyenne counselors recommend students take a proactive role in planning for their futures by completing homework, class assignments, and attending classes regularly. “Turning in assignments late is a bad plan. Expecting past assignments to go into the grade book because you didn’t do them on time–that’s bad planning, and it’s on you,” explained Adams.

Planning for the future is a critical skill Cheyenne counselors teach during academic planning, and it’s never too late for students to start the process of planning for success after graduation! Cheyenne offers credit deficient students various options, such as summer school or credit recovery programs to ensure each student can walk with their peers on graduation day. Credit deficient students should see their counselors to take advantage of these programs!