Celebrity Event at Cheyenne High School Builds Relationships between Students and Campus Police

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trent A., Staff Writer

“Cocoa with the PoPo” was a celebrity-filled event held at Cheyenne High School to encourage positive relationships between students and campus police.

Celebrities were present at the event to excite students about the positive benefits of collaborating with campus police. D.J. Ocho, a local Vegas radio mixologist; Ricardo Laguna, a professional BMX athlete, television personality, and former Durango High School graduate; and Julian Marquez, a UFC fighter who currently resides in Las Vegas all spoke about the importance of school-community partnerships to create safe schools.

Marquez explained the necessity of these types of partnerships. “In order to change the world, you have to change your community, and what we started here can be branched off to help other schools. Students need to know that school police are here to help them.”

Officer Terry McAninch, one of two Clark County School District Police Officers at Cheyenne, reached out to Ocho, Laguna, and Marquez to create the event. McAninch explained, “The event was to show that it’s okay to talk to cops, and at the end of the day, we’re all alike; we’re all human.”

Cheyenne’s JROTC and Student Council programs provided 1000 cups of hot cocoa for students during both lunches. At the event, students and school police drank cocoa and socialized to break any barriers that may exist between campus police and students. Some students danced to music provided by D.J. Ocho and shared personal stories with school police, Ocho, Laguna, and Marquez. Everyone had a smile on their faces during both lunches.

“It was a success, and we managed to give away about 800 cups of hot cocoa,” said McAninch. “Other schools have already contacted us who heard about it. They want to extend the event by coming up with ideas from Cookies with the Cops to Pepsi with the Police.”

“It was very successful, and we see us doing more schools in the future; whenever someone is ready to go, so are we,” said Ocho.

Cheyenne students are encouraged to use the many resources available to communicate potential threats or danger in the community.

“If any student has to get something off their chest, just know that we’re all here for you,” said Officer Jordan Turner, a Clark County School Police Officer at Cheyenne High School.

Students can make reports to the campus police in room 408 during school hours.

To make an anonymous report, students can use the SafeVoice reporting system via mobile phone app or online at http://safevoicenv.org/makeareport/