Credit by Exam is Now Available at Cheyenne High School!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jesus M., Staff Writer

Cheyenne High School is one of four schools in Nevada authorized by the Nevada Department of Education to offer competency based education programming to students. One way Cheyenne uses this authority is by offering students an opportunity to earn “credit by exam”. Some students miss school and lose credit due to unexpected reasons. Credit by exam can help.

Credit by Exam offers students the option to earn half credits by passing a Course’s semester exam with at least a 60%. Although students can recover half credits for the class by passing the semester exam, students are not allowed to test in a course they are currently enrolled. Additionally, most credit by exam opportunities exist for core classes, not electives. If a student is missing two semesters of a core class, it is possible to earn both credits for the class by passing semester exams.

Eligible Cheyenne students signed up with counselors last semester and paid a $60 fee to take exams, per half-credit. After signing up for an exam, students receive a study packet- if a study packet is available for the exam they select. Counselors have encouraged students to study for their respective exam(s).

Ms. Matlock, a counselor at Cheyenne High School, expressed the importance of offering a program like credit by exam. “I think it’s an amazing opportunity for kids who may understand the concept of the subject but just may have a bad semester. So, I think it is something great for students to be able to show that they do understand the content knowledge of the core subject.”

Carlos L,. a junior at Cheyenne High School, explained his situation. “At the beginning of the year, I wasn’t able to attend school until two months into the year because I was out of state due to family issues. I think it’s a great opportunity for students who had the same problem as me.”

Students tested on April 29th and received results within 72 hours. Cheyenne students interested in taking advantage of this opportunity will be able to sign up during the first two weeks of the 2019-2020 school year.