Student Artists Commemorate Past Cheyenne High School Principals!!!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Celeste E., Staff Writer

Select students from Ms. Diodati’s art class painted commemorative portraits of former Cheyenne principals which are now displayed in the Principal’s Conference Room.

The portraits depict former Cheyenne principals–Dr. Brown, Dr. Geihs, and Ms. April Key, as well as the current principal, Dr. Robbins– who have improved Cheyenne High School in a variety of ways.

Dr. Robbins conceived this project with Ms. Diodati, an art teacher at Cheyenne High School. He mentioned some contributions of the celebrated principals and why he feels they deserve to be remembered.

“Dr. Brown opened Cheyenne. He had the privilege of opening a school that would change the landscape of North Las Vegas, established our school colors, and laid the foundation for all the principals that followed,” said Robbins.

Robbins further stated, “Dr. Geihs brought in the partnership with the MGM hotel. He brought in the JROTC program. He was the principal who first experimented with the house structure at Cheyenne.”

The final principal to be depicted was Ms. Key. “She took over for Dr. Geihs, maintained Dr. Geihs’ work, maintained the success he had with various programs, and made Cheyenne a place people enjoyed,” explained Robbins.

Dr. Robbins has been principal of Cheyenne High School for just over four years, and he is cognizant of how past contributions from Brown, Geiss, and Key have helped him pave the way for continued successes.

Robbins explained that Cheyenne is on a high level academically and athletically. “I’ve had the privilege of helping Cheyenne establish its reputation nationally. Under my leadership, our teachers have made national presentations about things we do here at Cheyenne.”

Cheyenne has presented at the prestigious National Title 1 Conference for the last 3 years about our Father and Father Figures program, Noche De Empoderamiento, the Cheyenne 200 Mentoring program, and its Restorative Justice program. Cheyenne currently has the best graduation rate in school history and continues to offer innovative programs, such as its cyberdefense program and dual enrollment partnership with the College of Southern Nevada.

As for the students chosen by Ms. Diodati to paint the portraits, they had their own special learning experiences to share. The project gave students the opportunity to improve art techniques as well as adding a notable piece of art to their portfolios.

“This project increased my ability to produce art and educated me to do new techniques in painting; going for it and accidentally messing up increased my experience with how to paint and draw,” Cheyenne art student and senior, Latoya M., explained.

Cheyenne senior and art student, Esmeralda D., was another student selected to paint the portraits. “The project helped me understand the technique of layering, which is used to make sure the colors blend really nice.”

This student-created project is one of many student-led projects Robbins enjoys initiating to acknowledge how far the school has come and how it has been shaped into the Cheyenne of today.

“I’m proud of the fact that the project shows the spirit of Cheyenne and the historical depth of the school,” said Robbins.