Cheyenne’s S.O.L. Club Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month!

Kendra Q., Staff Writer

The Student Organization of Latinos (S.O.L.) Club is combining culture and fun to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month.

Hispanic Heritage Month begins September 15th and lasts until October 15th. The purpose of this month is to celebrate and recognize the contributions of Hispanic and Latinos to society and culture.

Maria G., secretary of S.O.L. Club, explained why celebrating this month is important. “It is a way of expressing and teaching others about Hispanic heritage and culture. It is a beautiful thing to share your culture with others and for them to take part in it.”

Cheyenne High School has a history of participating in Hispanic Heritage Month through decorations and dynamic events.  This year is no exception as S.O.L. has already hosted a loteria, which is more commonly known as the game of B.I.N.G.O.

Sharon Fajardo, the advisor for S.O.L. Club, explained some other events the club is planning. “S.O.L. is planning to have a Hispanic Heritage Month trivia game in September, provide live entertainment during both lunches at the beginning of October, and host a drive for the Hurricane Dorian victims.”

S.O.L. Club’s events for Hispanic Heritage Month serve not only as entertainment for students during their lunch periods, it also provides a new way for students to increase their knowledge and interest in other cultures.

“These events allow people to know more facts about Hispanic culture and invite them to take part in this culture,” said Alondra A., S.O.L. Club’s president.

Students of all cultures and races are invited to participate in S.O.L. Club and their events; the only requirements are to have fun and work hard! Students who are interested in becoming involved are invited to speak with Ms. Sharon Fajardo in room 804, or students can come to any club meeting on Mondays from 1:30pm-2:30pm in room 804.