Cheyenne High School’s New Grading System!

Maida G.

AB, MG, MR, KD, KS

Cheyenne High School's New Grading System!

Ivan

When the grading policy at Cheyenne High School changed, many students were left with an uneasy feeling; they thought the new grading policy was based on a different set of standards. The school formally used the 100-point scale for grading, which most students were accustomed to using over the past decade or so.   To educate students on the new 5-point grading policy, I spoke with one of our highly respected English teachers, Mr. Riddle. He was able to explain the new 5-point grading system by using real life examples.

Mr. Riddle explained that students now have a greater advantage in achieving success, because the gap between each grade is reduced. This gap allows students to accurately see their grades. Unlike the previous grading system, students are now able to bounce back from a missing or low scoring assignment. The new 5-point scale may still have some critics, but hopefully students will see the new system’s benefits, like having a greater chance of achieving academic success.

Fellow Cheyenne students, I leave you with the words of our 35th President of the United States, “Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.” John F. Kennedy #CheyenneHighSchoolmovingontogreatthings